Subwoofers are a necessity if you’re looking to enhance your movie-watching and music-listening experience. Although, finding the best subwoofer for your needs can be tough.
Regular speakers do a good job on their own. However, subwoofers take things to a whole new level.
Being sure to find the right subwoofer for music and setup can be tricky. If you’ve been having a hard time trying to decide on which subwoofer to pick, this is the review for you.
Subwoofers are an excellent addition to home theaters as they can accentuate the deep bass sounds that many normal speakers simply can’t deal with as effectively.
By the end of our review, you’ll be left feeling more confident about which kind of subwoofer is right for you!
Below are the best subwoofer for music of 2019
1. Polk Audio PSW10 Subwoofer Review – Big Bass at A Great Value
- SIZE – The size of this subwoofer is a total of 10”. Many people have found that this is an excellent size as it allows them to place the subwoofer in different areas without it taking up too much space.
- PERFORMANCE – With the technology available inside this sub, you’re able to listen to loud bass sounds at super-high levels.
- COMPATIBILITY – You’re able to integrate this home audio subwoofer to your existing surround sound system.
One size available:
With a total of 100 watts on offer this subwoofer has been designed to remain stable at incredibly high volume levels.
So, if you were looking for a subwoofer that you can play at high volumes for extended periods of time, this could be a great option to consider.
Since the subwoofer is able to be more stable, you’re provided with the benefit of better energy efficiency too.
The Klipper technology that has been implemented into this subwoofer is remarkably effective at boosting the efficiency features even further.
It works to optimize voice alignment, especially when it comes to the sounds that have frequencies at a lower level. This is awesome for enhancing the performance of the speaker when it’s being played at very high levels.
We were pleased to discover that you can connect this subwoofer to a range of systems. This is because it has inputs that include stereo line levels and for the audio and 2 spring terminals for the speaker inputs.
Therefore, you can feel confident in knowing that you have all of the necessary audio and speaker inputs and outputs to let you connect the subwoofer to a wide range of systems.
They’ve included a specific configuration that deals with the bass that this subwoofer can produce.
We were impressed to find that it lets you listen to music and hear the bass in clarity. Not to mention, the dynamic balance driver system that has been fitted is awesome for adding to the overall sound quality.
This system is excellent for getting rid of any unneeded resonance to let you listen to the deeper bass sounds and frequencies.
✓ Fantastic bass
✓ Easy connectivity
✓ Great size
✓ Clear bass sounds at high volumes
× Rubber feet could be more durable
× Some find it’s better for movies than listening to music with
2. Sony SACS9 Subwoofer Active Subwoofer
- VIBRATION – A big concern that many people have before buying a subwoofer is vibration. We were glad to find that this subwoofer deals with vibration in a remarkably effective way. They’ve included a system that suppresses the vibration that comes from the cabinet of the subwoofer.
- COMPACT – This is one of the best 10 inch powered subwoofers for using in smaller areas. Its compact design makes it easy to fit in corners and be out of the way.
- STRENGTH – The cone that’s available inside this sub is incredibly strong. Therefore, it can produce high-quality sound for years.
Different options available:
- 10” active powered
- 3-way bookshelf
- Dolby Atmos enabled
- Floor standing
- Sony CS-Series package
Design & Size
One of the main features that people have been mentioning when it comes to this subwoofer is that it has an incredibly stylish design.
The black finish that has been used on the outer layer make it look very sleek. As a result, it fits in very well with most people’s decor.
The subwoofer is also 10” in size. As a result, you can be sure that it won’t take up a ton of space. This compact design lets you place it neatly, wherever you like. It’s a great feature that makes moving it around to different areas a lot easier.
If you were interested in a subwoofer that could fit into tighter places, this Sony SACS9 could be a good choice.
There are many subwoofers that have been fitted with cones made out of paper. These cones are weak and more prone to being moved over time. As a result, they diminish the durability and sound quality of subwoofers over time.
Sony have ensured to steer clear of this problem completely due to the MICA reinforced cellular fiber woofers that have been included.
These woofers are super strong and very resistant to keeping their shape. This is an excellent feature that keeps the subwoofer more durable for longer. It can handle being played at high volumes without any drawbacks to the sound quality.
With the 9.84 active feature that has been implemented, you can feel confident in hearing bass sounds that rumble.
This is also largely due to how they’ve designed the diaphragm with a cone design. It allows for more air to pass through and carry the lower bass sounds to fill out the room.
We found this to be an especially awesome benefit when it comes to watching movies from home. It adds to the theater experience by letting you hear the lower frequency bass sounds with more clarity.
- Suppressed vibration
- Durable woofers
- Compact size
- Sleek design
- Connector is a little too small
- Midrange audio levels could be better
- BASS – this music and home theater subwoofer has a twisting flare shaped port which allows air to pass through smoother than conventional ports. As a result, the bass that you’re able to hear is free from distortion.
- TECHNOLOGY – Yamaha’s Advanced YST technology improves the low range respond that enhances your music-listening and movie-watching experience due to a higher sound quality.
- DESIGN – the black colors and slanted front used to design this subwoofer make it look awesome. So, you can place it in your living room and see how it can fit right in with the rest of your modern decor.
- Single (subwoofer on its own)
- Subwoofer with 8 foot cable
- Subwoofer with 15 foot cable
The bass that’s available with this subwoofer is remarkably tight and it allows you to listen to the deeper sounds with clarity.
This is a result of the twisted flare port that provides the air with a unique shape to travel around and produce deep bass sounds. As a result, any noise that isn’t coming from the music or movie you’re watching is minimized.
Many other subwoofers feature ports that are standard. These often lead to air not being being able to pass through as smoothly, which can lead to some distortion. Yamaha recognized this downfall and found a way to solve the problem with their unique port.
With Yamaha’s Advanced YST technology available, you’re able to experience sound at a high-quality. Furthermore, it allows for the low range responses to be more precise and stable.
Many users have been loving the design of this subwoofer. This is due to the fact that it has been made with an excellent rounded shape with a front that’s slanted.
These design elements make the subwoofer look super sleek and stylish. Therefore, you can feel confident in adding it as a part of your living room.
The black color makes it look very modern. Yamaha has put the effort into making sure that their subwoofer doesn’t stand out too much and look like a standard boxy subwoofer.
- Excellent design
- High sound quality
- Deep bass sounds
- No controls for cutoff frequency included
- May work better in smaller rooms
- DESIGN – We were impressed to find that this subwoofer has been made with a lightweight design. As a result, you can easily move it around and transport it without any hassle.
- STABILITY – While being light in weight, people have been surprised to discover how sturdy this subwoofer is. It’s super rigid, which ensures that it can last you for a while!
- DISTORTION – As a result of the cone breakup being minimized, you’re able to listen to incredibly deep bass sounds without any distortion.
We like how this subwoofer has been implemented with an all-digital amplifier feature. This is fantastic for providing the subwoofer with plenty of power that’s able to work at a highly efficient rate.
This leads to the precision of the reproduction of sound being truer to the source. In other words, you’re able to listen to sounds at a high volume in their truest form.
Usually, this is something that can be hard to achieve with subwoofers and listening to sounds at extremely high levels.
Users have been loving how they’re able to use this subwoofer along with their other Klipsch speakers. Combining subwoofer with other speakers is an easy and incredibly effective way to enhance your experience when it comes to watching movies and listening to music.
Furthermore, this subwoofer provides you with the ability to combine the low-frequency sounds with your other speakers seamlessly.
As a result, you can clearly hear the deeper bass sounds from the subwoofer, as well as the rest of the sounds from the speaker without one overpowering the other.
Not to mention, you’re provided with the opportunity to alter the level of bass that you want to hear. This is an awesome feature that lets you have more control over your listening experience.
The inputs that are available with this subwoofer include LFE and Line. These may seem like simple input features, and they are.
It’s one of the aspects that appeal to users who don’t know too much about all the different ports and technicalities of subwoofers.
This subwoofer is super simple to set up. The LFE and Line inputs allow you to connect it to receivers that are both old and new.
- Easy to install
- Minimal bass distortion
- Lightweight design
- Some find it works best for movies rather than music
- CONNECTIVITY – A pole mount socket has been built-in which lets you connect PA speakers to the subwoofer. Moreover, there are XLR combo input and output jacks at the back of the subwoofer that make it very easy to connect.
- MAGNETS – We were impressed to find that the magnet used inside this subwoofer is super large at 70 Oz. This enhances the overall power and level of sound that you’re able to experience.
- PORTABILITY – The carry on handles that have been included with the subwoofer is excellent for allowing you to carry it around with you. Therefore, if you’re someone who needs a subwoofer that’s easier to transport, this could be a great option.
Rockville’s bass subwoofer has been fitted with a high-quality limiter circuit. This circuit includes very technological features that enable it to pick up on when any of the signals are being overdriven.
Typically, when signals in subwoofers become overdriven, it leads to distortion. However, that is not the case with this subwoofer.
The circuit is remarkably effective at being able to detect overdriven signals and prevent it from happening. As a result, you’re able to listen to sounds without any distortion.
We were impressed with how much thought and attention to detail has gone into designing this subwoofer.
They’ve made sure to construct it with metal materials that are durable. The grill has been custom made with high-grade metal materials and the corners of the subwoofer are made out of the same metal.
This construction feature is one of the main reasons as to why people have been able to use the subwoofer for years.
In addition to this, birch wood materials have been implemented as well. These wooden materials are also super durable and keep the subwoofer in good condition for a long time.
Not to mention, carry on handles have been fitted. These handles make it a lot easier for you to carry the subwoofer around. Therefore, this is an excellent option for people who need a subwoofer that they can use easily while traveling around.
Controls & Connectivity
Users have been pleased to find that polarity controls are available with this subwoofer. This provides you with the ability to alter the volume without any hassle.
Furthermore, these polarity control options also enable you to alter the low pass crossover frequencies. As a result, this subwoofer lets you have total control over how you want to listen to sounds.
- Easily portable
- Durable design
- Minimized distortion
- Fan is louder than some were anticipating
- Some find there’s some internal vibration
6. Acoustic Sounds PSW-6 Subwoofer – Down Firing
- DESIGN – The black ash wood finish that’s available with this sub provides it with an incredibly stylish visual appeal. It has a sleek design that enables it to fit in perfectly with modern decor.
- DURABILITY – The cone that has been fitted to this subwoofer has been made with PVA treated features. As a result, it’s remarkably durable and sturdy, which makes it effective at providing you with clear deep bass sounds.
- SET UP – People have been loving how this subwoofer can be used as part of a home theater system. You can implement it into walls or ceilings for a truly immersive theater experience.
The downfiring feature that has been included with this one refers to how there’s a longthrow subwoofer available on the bottom.
This allows the subwoofer to use a longer excursion and combine it with the super-rigid cone that has been constructed out of durable PVA materials. As a result, you’re able to listen to sounds that have a very accurate response rate which enhances the listening experience.
In order to provide you with the best bass sensations, this subwoofer’s bass port is surrounded by triangular feet. Therefore, it enables you to listen to the bass with plenty of power and clarity.
Another one of the main features that make this subwoofer so powerful is the digital drive amplifier that has been built-in. This works effectively to boost the bass sounds even further which lets you have more power than you need!
We were impressed with how this amplifier comes with a gain and level control system that can work independently. In addition to this, they’ve implemented a phase control switch and different levels for the inputs and outputs.
Therefore, you’re provided with plenty of controls to perfect how you want to listen to music and movies.
Bass Reflex Enclosure
A port enclosure is available on the interior of this subwoofer. It has been lined with a gray batting and braced securely on the inside to keep it stable while the subwoofer is in action.
Even when you’re taking the sound levels to the max, you can feel assured in knowing that the port will remain sturdy. This is a fantastic feature that minimizes distortion when there are low-frequency sounds being played.
In other words, it lets you listen to the deepest bass sounds with clarity.
- Down firing for deep bass sounds
- Stylish design
- Plenty of controls available
- No LFE connector available
- Plastic legs could be stronger
7. Monoprice Subwoofer – Powered, For Studio & Home Theater
- CONNECTIVITY – You’re able to easily connect this sub to a 5.1 surround sound system. This is due to all of the input options that are available.
- POWER – With a total of 60 watts available, the subwoofer is able to produce a lot of sound and power. The bass levels can be fully optimized as well.
- DESIGN – The sub’s available in one size of 8” which makes it easy to slot into tighter areas when you’re setting it up. The all-black finish also looks excellent!
One size available:
We liked how this subwoofer has been fitted with a range of inputs that provide you with more choice. These multiple inputs allow you to connect the subwoofer with other stereo systems to achieve a surround sound experience.
There are high-level inputs that can take a complete signal from the outputs of stereo speakers. Many users have been loving how they’re able to use this subwoofer as part of their 1.5 system as a result of the input options available.
You can also make use of the line-level output by splitting the output when connecting it to an amplifier. This is a great feature for amplifiers with a single mono sub feature.
The overall design of this subwoofer is visually appealing. It has been designed with an all-black color which makes it perfect for fitting in with the rest of your decor.
They’ve used a wooden cabinet design for this subwoofer as well. Therefore, it could be awesome for rooms that have other cabinet pieces available as well.
In addition to this, the sound port and driver are available on the front of the sub. Typically, this would be a downfall as far as design is concerned. However, this subwoofer includes a black cloth speaker grill.
This covers the port and driver and provides the sub with a unique visual element to appreciate.
Power & Sound
We were impressed with how this subwoofer is able to produce a total output of up to 60 watts. This is pretty impressive as it enables you to listen to sounds at a super high volume.
Furthermore, there’s a frequency response range of between 50 and 250 Hz. a low pass crossover filter has been implemented with this response range that provides you with more adjustability benefits.
As a result, you’re able to alter the Hz between 50 and 150 Hz. This is a very user-friendly feature that lets you control the kind of sound that you want to listen to.
In addition to this, you can use the knobs that are available on the control panel to have even more control over the sound. This lets you alter the bass output to make sure that it sounds right along with the rest of your speakers.
- Multiple input options
- Stylish black design
- Powerful bass sounds
- Some notice there’s a slight humming sound
8. Pioneer TS-SWX3002 Subwoofer – Shallow-Mount Pre-Loaded Enclosure
- DESIGN – The black design looks excellent for modern decor. Furthermore, the carpet materials prevent it from scratching floors and are great for keeping the sub stable.
- Durability – MICA resin has been injected into the structure of the cone inside this subwoofer. Therefore, it’s super durable and can last you for years.
- BASS – With more space for air to flow freely, you’re able to listen to remarkably deep bass sounds.
One size available:
This subwoofer has been made with a shallow-mount feature that has already loaded. We liked how it includes a cone design that’s purposefully oversizes.
This provides the sub with a larger surface area with which can produce bass sounds at a much deeper and truer level. The larger cone area allows for more air to be moved which is what causes the rumbling bass sounds.
We also liked how the cone has been implemented with a MICA resin. It’s incredibly effective at providing the cone with its sturdiness and durability. As a result, it’s able to produce accurate bass sounds for years.
With most subwoofers, the terminals tend to be mounted at vertical or horizontal angles. This can be a problem as it often leads to the wires being forced to fit in specific ways. Usually, it can end up deteriorating the sound quality over time.
With this Pioneer subwoofer, however, the angle push terminals are excellent for avoiding these problems altogether.
The angle push terminals are a patented design that makes it a lot easier for the wires on the interior to be connected without being forced and damaged.
Not to mention, it enables the wire to be straighter, which can help to make the installation process go a lot smoother.
Pioneers subwoofer has an awesome enclosure design that can be put together in the luggage space or cabin. Therefore, you’re able to save on space which is great if you were planning to use the sub in a smaller room.
Users have been appreciating how the enclosure has been made with carpeted materials on the outside.
This makes it great for placing on hard surfaces and avoiding any scratches. It’s also awesome for providing the sub with more stability.
- Durable cone
- Carpeted exterior
- Tight bass sounds
- No brackets available for different installation options
9. Polk Audio PSW505 Powered Subwoofer – High Precision Bass with Extreme Power
- DESIGN – We liked how this sub has a completely black color scheme as it looks excellent as a part of your modern decor. Furthermore, the front grille can be removed and placed back on whenever you like.
- PERFORMANCE – You’re able to listen to all of the loudest bass sounds from music and movies without all of the sounds being amplified. Therefore, you can still listen to the more subtle sound effects.
- INTEGRATION – You may be pleased to hear that you can easily connect the sub to home theater and music systems.
- Subwoofer on its own
- Subwoofer with cable
Bass & Sound
This subwoofer is able to provide you with an incredible amount of bass. It’s 12” in size which means it’s large enough to rumble your entire room.
We liked how it has been implemented with a dynamic balance woofer as it enables you to hear the bass clearly.
Furthermore, the subwoofer is able to let you listen to all of the other smaller sounds. This is an especially great benefit when it comes to watching movies.
You’re able to hear all of the smaller sound effects. The sub is able to pick up on which sounds to amplify with bass and which ones to keep more subtle.
With a total of 460 watts of power available, this subwoofer is incredibly effective at being able to perform at its maximum capacity on a consistent basis.
As a result of its power, you’re able to listen to loud bass sounds without any of the distortion.
We liked how you can easily connect this subwoofer to speakers. This lets you have the full cinematic experience with surround sound from the comfort of your own home.
Users have also been liking how they’re able to connect the subwoofer to their music systems to listen to songs at a higher volume.
- Great for music & movies
- Minimal bass distortion
- Awesome design
- Some people aren’t fans of how the bass can shake the walls
10. Monolith Subwoofer – 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer
- DISTORTION – With the lower suspension, the distortion levels that are produced by this sub are incredibly minimal. Therefore, you’re able to listen to deeper bass sounds at high volumes clearly.
- AMPS – The amplifiers are monitored every millisecond to ensure that they’re working to the best of their abilities. These amps also produce accurate bass sounds at extremely high volumes.
- AIRFLOW – This subwoofer allows for plenty of air to flow through the as a result of the floating grille design. This is great for producing the bass sounds through the ports at higher volumes without compromising on sound quality.
This subwoofer uses high-density fiberboard (HDF) which is an excellent material for helping to produce sounds of a higher quality.
As a result of this internal bracing feature, the sturdiness of the sub is improved. Not to mention, any vibration that may occur when the bass is being played at extremely high levels can be minimized.
We liked how the reduction in vibration enhances the sound quality. It gets rid of any distortion to let you listen to movies and music with clarity.
Another one of the aspects about this subwoofer that helps to reduce distortion are the dual flares that are available.
In addition to this, you’re able to use the plug that’s provided to close up the port. This is an excellent feature that enables you to make adjustments to the kind of sound that you want to hear.
To boost the amount of air that’s able to flow through the ports, they’ve included a floating grille. It has been made with MDF materials which keep it strong.
We were impressed with how the output limiting, transfer of power, and thermal protection within the amplifiers are all constantly being monitored by the subwoofer.
This is fantastic for ensuring that all of the amps are running as efficiently and as powerfully as possible, without any issues.
- Minimal distortion
- Floating grille for more airflow
- Powerful amplifiers included
- Paper pistons could be more accurate
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Best Subwoofer
Now that you’ve had the chance to read through our review of the best home subwoofers under $1000, $500 or $300. you’ll be able to choose the one that you think is best for your needs.
Having said that, you may also still be looking for some additional guidance before making a final decision.
There are many different factors to consider prior to finding the subwoofer for music that’s right for you.
Do you want a front-firing or down-firing subwoofer?
Should the ports be enclosed or open?
These are the kinds of features that you can learn more about below. Not to mention, an FAQ section has been included towards the end as well.
1. Choosing Between the 2 Port Types Available
The ports that are available inside subwoofers have a huge impact on the kind of sound that they’re able to provide you with.
There are two main types of ports available with the best home powered subwoofers. They include sealed and unsealed ports.
The sealed ports are closed off entirely and don’t provide you with any option to open the interior up. On the other hand, the open ports allow you to open up the interior of and increase the amount of air that can flow throughout the sub.
So, which type of port is best?
Well, they both offer different benefits. The sealed ports are best if you were looking to have more control over your sound. However, the unsealed ports are better for providing you with sounds at an extremely high volume, but it may lack in sound quality at times.
2. Differences Between Front-Firing & Down-Firing Subs
There are down-firing and front-firing music and home theater subs available. The ones that have a front-firing feature are best if you’re going to be placing it anywhere underneath the TV.
These front-firing home entertainment subwoofers may also be better if you’re placing it near to your other speakers as part of a surround sound system.
Although, if you’re looking to put your home theater sub away from the rest of the speakers, a down-firing one may be the better option.
3. How to Decide on Wireless or Wired Subwoofers
Should you use wired or wireless subwoofers?
Well, this will largely come down to personal preference. If you’re looking to be able to easily move the sub, a wireless option may be what you’re looking for.
Having said that, the most powerful home theater subwoofers that are available are wired. They’re also able to produce louder sounds at a higher quality.
4. The Space You Need for a Subwoofer
One of the biggest elements about a subwoofer that you’ll need to consider is its size. This is because the size of the sub will determine where and if you’ll be able to fit it into your room.
If you’ve chosen a larger subwoofer but don’t have the space to slot it away, it may end up looking odd with the rest of the decor in the room.
So, we recommend that you think about the space you have and the ideal area that you want to set up your subwoofer. When it comes to searching for one, you’ll be able to just focus on the options that fit your needs.
This will make the searching and buying process a lot easier!
5. Wattage – How it Affects the Sound
The wattage of a subwoofer will have a large impact on the sound that it can produce. That’s why the subwoofers that have more watts are able to provide you with much louder sounds.
These subs with higher watts are also more costly.
Another feature to consider when it comes to the watts of a sub is the RMS that’s available with it. The RMS is what deals with the overall power and volume levels that the subwoofer can produce on a consistent basis.
Also read: our best review of subwoofers under $500
FAQ Of Best Subwoofer
The bass that’s produced by the top subwoofer is a lot louder and clearer compared to the bass that regular speakers can provide you with.
This is because they’ve been designed to amplify the lower frequency sounds that are in the range of 20-125Hz.
The powered subwoofers that are available have amplifiers that are built-in. This allows them to be powered internally.
On the other hand, passive subwoofers need to have an external source of power in order to work.
The answer to that is yes.
While you would be able to listen to sounds at even higher levels, you also run the risk of creating a lot more distortion. Therefore, the louder sounds are unlikely to sound as accurate and crisp compared to using just one subwoofer.
This can be achieved easily by plugging in the correct audio cables from the rest of your home theater system into the subwoofer.
Be sure that your sub is plugged in properly and carry out some tests to ensure it’s running well.
Simply plug it in and make sure all of the lights are turned on as they should be. Once you’re happy with that, plug in all of the necessary cables and start playing music or playing a movie.
You can then listen to whether the subwoofer is performing as it should be.
That brings us to the end of our review on the best home stereo subwoofers that are available.
Picking the best subwoofer for music can be a headache if you’re not too sure what to look out for.
If you were considering using one of these subs, we hope that you’ve found our review helpful.